|Use(s):||Assembles 65c816, SPC700, and SuperFX|
|License:||GNU Lesser General Public License 3.0|
|Home Page:||Asar: Proposed xkas replacement|
Asar is more user-friendly than xkas. It can be run two ways:
- Double-click Asar.
- You will be prompted for the name of the patch. Enter (or copy-paste) the path to a patch you want to apply.
- You will be prompted for the name of your ROM. Enter (or copy-paste) the path to the ROM you want to apply the patch to.
- Run it from the command line, like xkas.
- >asar [Path to patch] [Path to ROM]
Asar has many features which make life easier.
- freecode and freedata automatically find freespace for you. The difference is that freedata prefers ROM areas where RAM mirrors don't exist, while freecode refuses to put anything there.
- autoclean automatically detects where a JSL, JML, or dl in a ROM points to and deletes its RATS tag when you re-apply a patch. This prevents freespace leaks.
- fastrom forces all code to be in the FastROM area, even if you forget a |$800000. Only affects labels, so LDA $7E0019 will still work as intended.
- arch assembles for another architecture. Valid values are the following:
- 65816 is the default, the one you want in most circumstances
- spc700-raw assembles SPC700 code. Acts as you'd expect; org $0010 stores to PC 0x0010 in the "ROM". Don't mix it with 65816 code, it won't make sense.
- spc700-inline also assembles SPC700 code. However, org is weirder here: It doesn't edit where it'll store the data; instead, it implements the standard upload system (16bit length, then location). It also adds a terminator at the end. If you're uploading an SPC engine, you can set the entry point with "startpos $1234". The location in the ROM is where the surrounding 65816 code tells it to be.
- superfx assembles code for the SuperFX chip.
Asar comes with the following library:
- asar.dll; wrappers for C and C# are included with the library.
This library allows programmers to use Asar from their code without calling an external application.
|Tools commonly used in SMW Hacking|
|ASM Hacking/Custom Blocks/Custom Sprites||Asar - BlockTool - Blocktool Super Deluxe - Overworld Sprite Tool - SMW Freespace Logger - Sprite Tool - Tweaker - VWF Cutscene Tool - xkas|
|Emulation||bsnes - Snes9x - ZSNES|
|Graphics||Racing Stripe - Terra Stripe - YY-CHR|
|Hex editors||Okteta - Translhextion - XVI32|
|Level/Overworld Editing||Lunar Magic - Super Mario World Overworld Editor|
|Music||Addmusic - SMWS|